Serving the Special Education Community
Click here to read the most recent message from ASAH Executive Director, Gerard M. Thiers.
ASAH is a not-for-profit organization of private schools and agencies in New Jersey which provide highly specialized services to more than 11,000 infants, children and young adults with disabilities. Founded in 1974, ASAH now serves more than 145 schools and agencies throughout the state.
ASAH works closely with its members and the New Jersey Department of Education to develop policy, promote effective educational practices, and foster productive collaborations between private schools, public school districts, and communities.
ASAH also advocates for legislative and regulatory changes that improve the quality of life for individuals with disabilities and their families.
Assembly Education Committee to Meet on NJDOE Accountability Regulation Adoption
ASAH is pleased to report that the Assembly Education Committee will hold a panel discussion on the special education portion of the fiscal accountability code.
The hearing is scheduled for Thursday, February 26, 2:00 p.m. at the State House Annex in Trenton. To learn more about the hearing, click here.
Click here for ASAH's press release regarding the regulation.
Click here for the NJ Coalition for Special Education Funding Reform's press release on the regulation.
- NEW ASAH Preschool Guide - Our new guide to preschool services for students with disabilities is intended to help parents of our youngest children – those in the preschool years – understand and access the high quality, effective services they need to make a lifetime of difference! Click a language preference to view the guide as a PDF now. English • Spanish
- NEW VIDEO ADVOCACY SERIES - With support from Hinkle, Fingles and Prior, ASAH has produced a series of short videos to help families understand areas of special education and disability law that tend to cause the most confusion. Click here to view the series now.
- ASAH has updated its Comparative Cost Study detailing the full cost to taxpayers of special education services provided in local district, county-based and private schools. Click here for the new report summary and a link to download the full report.
- ASAH is an active member of the New Jersey Coalition for Special Education Funding Reform. Visit the Coalition's website for news and information about statewide funding advocacy.
- A new second edition of ASAH's The Private School Option for Children with Disabilities: What Parents Need to Know, is now available. Call ASAH's Parent Assistance Line at 1-877-287-2724 for a free copy or click here to download a pdf copy now.
- Download ASAH's 35th Anniversary "Success Stories" publication.
- Download the recent issue of Parents Connection, ASAH's newsletter for parents and families
- Download the recent issue of Promising Futures, ASAH's newsletter for schools and school districts
- ASAH is working to build collaborative relationships with public schools
- Approved Technology Plans of NJDOE participating schools.
- New job postings are available at ASAH member schools
- Planning the Transition from School to Adult Life. [English] [Spanish]